If your water heater stops working, it isn’t necessary to take it for servicing every time. Resetting is also an option to fix the water heater problems. So now the fact is how to reset water heater.
You can easily reset your water heater by tapping the red button inside. And you’ll find the red button near the thermostat in an electric water heater and near the furnace in the gas water heater.
Along with the resetting method, you must know the causes of resetting the water heater problems. Let’s get started.
3 Major Causes to Reset Your Water Heater
When your water heater isn’t functioning as it should be, the first thing you should do is find out the causes. So, here are three major reasons to reset your water heater.
1. Connection Failure
The water heater might stop working if the wires are loose or not connected properly. Also, it can prevent the water heating procedure and cause various safety issues like electric short circuits or gas leakage.
2. Thermostat Stopped Working
If the wiring connections are okay, check the thermostat. Sometimes it can malfunction and produce excessive hot water. Plus, it can stop tracking the temperature. And the heating elements won’t work correctly.
3. Faulty Electrical Panel
When all these parts work, the water heater can be stopped for panel issues if you use an electric water heater. In that case, it can increase the water temperature and affect the internal heating system.
How to Reset Water Heater
The procedure to reset the hot water heater is relatively easy. You can reset the water heater within an hour or two, depending on the water heater you use.
Mostly the most common water heaters are electric and gas. We’ll share methods for these two.
How to Reset Electric Water Heater
Electrical water heaters are seamless to reset within 3 easy steps. They are:
Step 1: Prepare the Water Heater
Turn off the circuit breaker and disconnect the water heater. Now take the flat screwdriver and unscrew the top metal panel.
Pull it out gently and remove the insulation pad. You’ll find the reset button near the thermostat.
Step 2: Tap on the Reset Button
Hold on to the red reset button for 5 seconds and leave it. And it’s done.
Step 3: Set Up The Water Heater
Install a new insulation pad and set the metal panel with the flat screwdriver. Turn on the circuit breaker and check whether the water heater is working or not.
How to Reset Gas Water Heater
In the case of a gas water heater, you have to reset the pilot lamp. The steps are:
Step 1: Move the Temperature Control Knob into Pilot Position
The first thing you have to do is set up the lowest temperature. Turn off the pilot lamp by moving the temperature control dial. Remove the gas valve and furnace to locate the red button.
Step 2: Press the Red Button to Reset
Tapping on the red button will produce gas in the pilot light to light it. Hold it for 60 seconds and leave it. Install the gas valve and furnace.
And you’re done with resetting the gas heater pilot lamp.
Tips You Should Follow While Resetting Your Water Heater
You need to follow some safety tips while resetting the water heater. Otherwise, it can damage the water heater and reduce its life expectancy.
- When resetting the water heater, use gloves and protective glasses to protect yourself from electric or gas fire.
- If the insulation foam inside the metal panel is wet, check the water heater tank to see whether it leaks. Replace if it does.
- Try to insulate the internal parts and pipes to prevent heating problems.
- Remember to disconnect the circuit breaker if you’re using electric hot water heaters.
- Lastly, feel free to call in an expert if things seem out of your hand, especially if you inspect gas leakage while resetting the gas heater.
- How long does it take for a water heater to heat up after resetting?
It’ll depend on the tank size and temperature capacity you’re using. When resetting the electric water heater, it’ll take 60 to 90 minutes to heat. Moreover, the gas heater will take 30 to 40 minutes to heat.
- Does resetting the water heater work?
Yes. Resetting the water heater will balance the water temperature accurately and regulate the water supply on the heater. Keep the water warm on the heating tank and storage tank as well.
- Why won’t my reset button work on my water heater?
The reset button won’t work correctly if your water heater has a defective thermostat. You’ll need to replace it to keep your water heater better. It can also occur if the reset button has been broken.
- How long does it take a water heater to reset?
The gas water heater takes 1 to 1.5 hours to reset. You’ll need 2 hours to reset the electric water heater. Along with these, It depends on the expertise level of resetting the water heater.
Before resetting the water heater, you must diagnose the issues that make your water heater reset. We’ve included the reasons for the malfunctioning problems that can help you analyze them.
Now that you know how to reset water heater, it should be a piece of cake for you. But if you can’t figure out the reasons or solve them, hire a professional to do the job.
1. Rinnai Tankless Water Heater Troubleshooting
2. Rheem Tankless Water Heater Troubleshooting
3. Hot Water Heater Leaking from Top
4. Best Tankless Water Heater Valve Kits Reviews
- Replace Water Heater Element in 10 Steps - May 30, 2023
- Best 75 Gallon Water Heater: Live Safe and Healthy - May 20, 2023
- How to Reset Water Heater: Step-by-Step Guide for Electric and Gas Water Heater - April 1, 2023